I'm looking for some recipes that use fennel seeds.

I bought them for a recipe for sweet potato hummus and am now wondering what other recipes I could use them in. Any ideas?

asked by lovesitc over 6 years ago

jbban

I think Ottolenghi's caramlised fennel, which also uses fennel seeds, is pretty outstanding. The recipe is from Plenty, but it's been blogged about here: http://www.toast-nz.com/2011/06/caramelised-fennel-goats-cheese.html

ellencooks

This is an unbeatable recipe for a porchetta rub. Start the day before you want to cook the pork.
makes enough for a 3# pork loin or pork shoulder.
2T fennel seeds
3 cloves garlic
2t red pepper flakes
2T kosher salt
2 thick slices of orange zest
Combine all items in food processor and pulse until you have a thick paste. Rub all over pork loin, place in a plastic bag, splash with 2T dry vermouth and seal. Leave in the fridge overnight. Roast in a preheated 350 oven until temp reaches 145. Let rest for 10-15 minutes. Enjoy!

lovesitc

Thank you @ellencooks. I'm a vegetarian, but I bet this rub would be great w/tofu!

EmilyC

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but you can enter "fennel seed" into the FOOD52 recipe search -- then, if you wish, filter by "community picks," "contest winners," etc. Just did the same and lots of great recipes popped up!

lovesitc

Thanks, @EmilyC, I was just hoping for some personal suggestions and/or stand-out recipes. But I am going to filter by "contest winners" as I've never tried that option before, so thanks :)

Tarragon

Add it to tomato-meat based pasta sauce.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I agree with Tarragon. I have a red lentil pasta sauce recipe posted on this site that incorporates fennel seed

bigpan

I have a special grinder for fennel seeds (just a cheap pepper grinder) and use liberally on BBQ steak with s&p.
Don't be alarmed with heavy licorice aroma - it mellows out quickly on the grill.
Also great on salads if you don't have a fennel bulb to shave.

savedbytheapron

Puree with sun-dried tomatoes and salami (add oil) and use as a pesto over tortellini tosed with fresh bell pepper and basil. - my roommate used to make this and it was always a crowd-pleaser.

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Look for Indian recipes - fennel seeds are great in Indian spice blends. You can also add them (ground) to a sweet oat or rice porridge, chai masala (tea), dhal.

I second the rec on Ottolenghi's caramelised fennel - it's excellent. If you're a vegetarian this is a must-buy cookbook for you anyway! (Actually it's a must-buy for anyone, vego or not).

lovesitc

Thanks @Sarah R. Heading over to check out the cookbook prices now . . .

TheFritschKitchen

I actually make my own Chai tea with them! It's quite quick and easy. It smells fantastic and tastes much, much better than any bagged store variety!

http://biggreencookbook.blogspot.com/2012/05/chai-tea-happy-mothers-day.html

Here's one I loved! The fennel gives it an unmistakeable Italian taste, and it's a real multitasker. Veggie heaven:

http://food52.com/recipes...

...and about that Sweet Potato Hummus -- where's that recipe? Sounds good.

lovesitc

Hi @Susan G, thanks for the lentil pasta sauce link. Can't wait to try it. Here's the link to the sweet potato hummus . . . . on a great blog, too, btw. http://www.sweetpotatosoul.com/2012/06/sweet-potato-hummus-with-fennel-seeds.html

Nozlee Samadzadeh

I loooooooooooooove this fennel seed ice cream. Yes, fennel seed ice cream!

http://www.epicurious.com...

jbban

Must try that! I love David Lebovitz's Anise-Orange ice cream.