Freezing basil?

Leaving for a 9 day vacation in 2 hours. Had every intention of making pesto last night with our bumper basil crop but got home really late for work. Can I freeze it? Put it in a glass of water in the fridge?

asked by MTMitchell over 6 years ago

petitbleu

I found an earlier thread on this very topic: http://www.food52.com/hotline...

MTMitchell

Awesome. Thank you for that! Processes with oil and in little bags in freezer. Also "bumper crop" looks not so bumper after being processed!

Too late for your departure, but i freeze whole basil leaves all the time for use in sauces, soups, stews, etc. Store in a ziploc freezer bag.