Is using a Teflon fry pan that has some ware spots harmful health wise. I don't know if ingesting a little Teflon

coating has health consequences.

asked by Elaine Ruth almost 6 years ago

healthierkitchen

I am no scientist, but I have heard that we don't want to ingest those chemicals. I have been phasing out mine entirely, but even before that, I've replaced any where the coating is scraped.

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

I think it would be safer to replace your pan.

Droplet

Did you mean "bare" spots? If there are actual spots where the coating is missing, I will definately part with that pan . If there are few worn scratches here and there, it would probably be ok for occasional use until you are able to replace it. That being said, my grandmother got a Teflon set for her birthday many years ago and I remember she had a really hard time parting with those metal scouring pads. She would use them on the teflon despite our desparate tries to convince her not to. There is one of those pots still in her house (alternative use) that I recently saw and 90 % of the teflon is gone...Grandma is fine, but wiser authorities unanimously agree that broken Teflon is indeed harmful.

chef of the future 2000

If it still works ( is non stick) then its fine to use.

Elaine Ruth

Thank you all. I like the pan and will keep it. It is l large, heavy, and cooks beautifully. As it is costly to replace with the same quality I will keep it. If The Teflon is inert, I think too it is safe enough used in this way.