Pork stew

I bought some boneless pork shoulder today that I plan to use for a stew (I know it's a little warm for stew, but I just had a yen). Anyhow, I've not actually cooked with pork shoulder before, and in researching different recipes using this cut, I've seen wildly divergent ccok times. I know the rule of thumb is low & slow, and that "it's done when it's done", AND that the size of the stew meat and cooking temperature are also factors, but a ballpark idea of how long it should take for the meat to get tender would be helpful, especially so we don't wind up eating at 10:00 at night! Also, more than one recipe I've read has called For simmering in the oven at 350, but after it was mentioned in a recent thread that 350 was high for a braising temperature, I am wondering if it's high for simmering a stew as well. Thoughts?

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

asked about 6 years ago

cec75

1/2 inch cubes in a stew after browning meat and addin liquid.

1.5 hours Max

I would cook on the stove top as opposed to the oven over a low flame. Should take less than two hours, but you want the meat to be so tender that you can break it up with a fork. A simmer means just that. You'll want some bubbles appearing but definitely not a crazy boil.

Pamela731

I've done a pork stew in the oven; however I used a clay Dutch oven with a clay lid at a low temp of 300• for about 2-1/2 hours. I browned the pork stovetop and deglazed with stock before putting it into the oven, added vegs after 1st hour.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Alright, sounds like 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours is my ballpark figure.-- thanks! Think I'll probably go stovetop on this one -- also going Mexican with lots of dry roasted green chiles, which I love (and I live in San Diego, so they are available in abundance). Looking forward to this meal, even if it makes me sweat a little in this heat! Thanks again for the input -- love the hotline!

To avoid worrying about timing, I'd do it ahead - even just a few hours. That way, if it's tender in 1.5 hours or 2 or even 2.5, it doesn't matter. Almost all braises keep well - in fact, they improve with reheating.

Actually, I think this sounds great in hot weather, given the Mexican flavors - maybe serve it with warm tortillas and drink cold beer, maybe with a squeeze of lime. Sounds like a great meal.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Amysarah, I'm with you -- I had the exact same thoughts re: both making it early (am in the middle of prep right now) and serving with warm tortillas and beer (and lime wedges as well, of course).