What non-pork product can I substitute for prosciutto in a veal stew?

Need to make a veal stew for someone who cannot eat pork, and need something that will infuse a rich flavor.

asked by Anne Bodel almost 4 years ago

Anchovy paste or soy sauce instead of salt or Parmesan rind in the broth could all work well.

Or two or three anchovy filets (use good ones)

Many veal stews don't use prosciutto. Especially French ones - Blanquette de Veau, for instance - here's Daniel Boloud's version: http://www.foodandwine.... Or Veal Marengo - here's the inimitable Pierre Franey's recipe (WHY is he rarely mentioned anymore?): http://www.pierrefraney.com/recipes/beef_veal_and_lamb/veal_marengo.html. Also, many others. Prosciutto/pork isn't a default ingredient for a lovely veal stew.

If you want the salty cured taste of prosviutto, go for a quality aged cured beef product under pastrami or other names.

And yes, Pierre Franey taught many of us how to cook the French way and he has great recipes!