Substitute for Parmesan

asked by Cookease almost 6 years ago

allans

Aged asiago or fontina

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I think it will very much depend on what you are making. Grana padano is the same family, but the taste will never come close to a good Parmesan. Pecorino is an entirely different taste, but contributes to a dish in its own way.

Quinciferous

If I don't have any grating cheese at all, I will top pasta with bread crumbs fried in olive oil and salted, as per Italian peasants. It gives a nice savory pop.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Quinciferous, that is sooo true. I also make olive oil fried bread crumbs with garlic. Cannot get better (and simpler than that)!