three pound eggplant

my friend wants to give me a 3 pound eggplant, but i think it will be too bitter to use. am i wrong?

asked by alienor about 6 years ago

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Big ones are often bitter and woody. You can minimize it by removing the peel and salting the flesh, allowing the water to drain away (it will take some of the bitter compounds with it).

lloreen

Maybe...I was able to use some exceptionally bitter eggplants from my garden by cutting them into small cubes,salting them well, and letting them drain for half an hour, then making ratatouille with lots of sweet red peppers, onions, tomatoes, and basil. The sweetness of the other ingredients somehow balanced out the bitterness of the eggplant. I cooked the eggplant separately in several tablespoons of olive oil until the cubes were browned and wilted...that helped too.