Do I need to salt eggplant?

I've read that eggplant can be bitter. I want to make a roasted eggplant dish this evening, should I salt the eggplant first? Dry brine or wet?

asked by gabriel.avilamooney about 7 years ago

I find the Japanese eggplants don't need salting. When you use bigger eggplants..a light dusting with kosher salt for 10 mins and quick rinse and dry.
I wouldn't use a wet brine...they're like sponges and you'd end up with a salt brick.

Look at the seeds, if they're brown older seeds you probably need to salt, rinse and dry.
If they're mostly younger white seeds, you could skip it.

This one is a frequent foodpickle question. I find that most eggplants don't truly need salting, but I frequently do it anyway. Not so much to reduce bitterness but rather to extract some water. Like Sam1148, I do not wet brine. I put the eggplant in a colander, salt and toss it, then leave it for a while, his 10 minutes or longer. A quick rinse, or a rinse and a press if I really want to reduce the moisture content.

You'll Want to Eat These Soy Sauce Eggs with Everything

Game changed.

Momofuku's Famed Soy Sauce Eggs

From filling salads to warming soups, we've got you covered.

Easy Lunch Ideas

A weeknight slam dunk.

Miso Butter Skillet Chicken

Get Set for the Best

And why Sunday is, hands down, the best day of the week.

American Expat Life in Paris