Presale! 2 new cookbooks from Food52. Claim your signed copies »
🔕 🔔

Do I need to salt eggplant?

I've read that eggplant can be bitter. I want to make a roasted eggplant dish this evening, should I salt the eggplant first? Dry brine or wet?

asked by gabriel.avilamooney over 5 years ago
0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I find the Japanese eggplants don't need salting. When you use bigger eggplants..a light dusting with kosher salt for 10 mins and quick rinse and dry.
I wouldn't use a wet brine...they're like sponges and you'd end up with a salt brick.

Look at the seeds, if they're brown older seeds you probably need to salt, rinse and dry.
If they're mostly younger white seeds, you could skip it.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

This one is a frequent foodpickle question. I find that most eggplants don't truly need salting, but I frequently do it anyway. Not so much to reduce bitterness but rather to extract some water. Like Sam1148, I do not wet brine. I put the eggplant in a colander, salt and toss it, then leave it for a while, his 10 minutes or longer. A quick rinse, or a rinse and a press if I really want to reduce the moisture content.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.