How long does it take to defrost, and then allow a second rise by, some dinner rolls that are frozen hard? Each is 2 ounces of dough, which I formed after the first rise and froze in a 9 x 13 pan. Any ideas? I used my buttermilk multigrain bread recipe, but doubled the fat (used butter), and added some whole wheat flour, at the request of Son Number Two, who will be partaking of these on T-Day. Thanks so much. ;o)

asked almost 8 years ago

Mapi

It will take you about 1.5 to 2 hrs at room temperature (you can also leave then overnight in the refrigerator). I would cover the rolls/pans with an oiled plastic wrap so it keeps moist and doesn't stick to the plastic.
You can them shape them, let the second rise (45min to 1hr at room temperature) and bake them.
Maria

Savorykitchen

I would let them thaw in the fridge overnight. They may start to rise, let them finish their 2nd rise at room temp. Then bake per usual. I do this all the time with sticky buns and have great success. Good luck and happy Thanksgiving.

Maria, thank you! So you think 2 hours to defrost, and then 45 min to an hour for the second rise? They've already been shaped, and are all in the pan now in which I plan to bake them. I did surround the whole rectangle of them with parchment before freezing. Thanks again. ;o)