pumpkin dumplings

the other day i asked what cheese would go well with pumpkin to make dumplings. What is the best way to cook it? I'm using dumpling wrappers.

asked by dieubert about 6 years ago

Kenzi Wilbur

What are looking for your end product to be? If you want traditional dumplings, you can use the potsticker method: saute in a bit of oil until one side is nicely browned, and then add a few tablespoons of water, cover, and let them steam the rest of the way. Or, try a steamer basket if you'd like to steam them the whole way!

dieubert

i'm afraid that the wrapper would stick if i steam them. Has that happened to you before?

Yum! I would either pan-fry them in a little oil, potsticker-style, or boil them gently in broth.

dieubert

any broth?

dieubert

any broth?

fiveandspice
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

Probably vegetable broth if you're going to use a broth.

yes, vegetable or chicken broth. You can serve the dumplings in a soup, like wonton soup. Don't dump the broth - use it.

Kenzi Wilbur

To prevent sticking, you can line your steamer basket with a sturdy vegetable leaf, such as bok choy.

fiveandspice
fiveandspice

Or green cabbage leaves!

Or swiss chard leaves! (Is it lunchtime yet? I'm hungry for dumplings.)

I make a soup of pumpkin ricotta dumplings simmered in broth (chicken) with some added tomato puree, basil, and then added spinach and a spinkle of parmesan. It delicious. And now I want some.