Halloween treats

Recognizing that they must be packaged, does anyone have alternatives to low-quality candy treats for trick-or-treaters?

asked about 6 years ago

AnnaAvocado

I like the organic suckers or gummi bears I get at HomeGoods. I think they are by "EarthOrganics." They have lots of sugar, I am sure, but they also contain Vitamin C and they are yummy! They are individually wrapped.

Ghirardelli chocolate squares, Texas Millionaires (chocolate turtles), Peacan Pralines, Día de los Muertos marzapan skulls...
Personally, I like the cheap candy for Halloween...smarties, reese cups, snickers, peanut butter logs..etc.

How about those little rectangular sesame and honey sticks? Or those chewy ginger candies wrapped in paper? You can also buy Ghirardelli chocolate in individually wrapped squares.

Here's a link for some fun Halloween treats you can make and give
http://www.marthastewart...

jmburns

I also like to make my own treats but in this world I am afraid most mothers will throw them away. Only make treats for the kids who you know and that their parent is with them so the parent knows where it came from.

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Because of parental concerns, I quit handing out food long ago. I buy multi-packs of watercolor pens or pencils at dollar stores or drug stores and hand each kid three different colors. You'd be surprised how they remember this from year to year and how excited they get (younger kids, that is...not so much the older ones).

If you give out pens and pencils...hey...free eggs and toilet paper.
How about 'glow stick' bracelets?

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

I fail to see the connection between pens/pencils and eggs and toilet paper.

Egging a house, and toilet paper rolls in the yards and trees have been a traditional 'payback' for folks that don't give 'treats"..thus the ''trick" in trick or treat for ages.
But for the little ones..the pens pencils are indeed 'okay'.

former Community Editor

I was pleased to see snack packs of Annie's Cheddar Bunnies and a multi-pack box of a seasonal variety (Full Moon Brownie) of Clif Kid Z Bars (http://www.clifbar.com/food/products_clif_kid_zbar/) during my last Target visit.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did end up with some Snickers bars but also some slightly higher quality chocolate, some raisins, and my big healthier find of the year--little packages of pistachios. They were marketed by Wonderful Pistachios in Frankenweenie packaging--a Halloween disguise for an otherwise healthy snack!

lloreen

I liked getting stickers and Halloween pencils as a kid. I also have very fond memories of the elderly lady who gave out individual gift bags with homemade caramel apples and rice crispy treats to all the neighborhood kids. You know, there has never been a single case of a child being poisoned by Halloween candy, yet the urban legend lives on. I think this is a shame....also a shame that kids aren't allowed to go off in little groups by themselves anymore, but that is another topic...
As someone who was only allowed to eat candy once a year, I say don't put any effort into buying more expensive gourmet options. The kids will toss them. If you object to the candy, give fun stickers or erasers instead - try a Japanese store for cute items.