Electric handheld mixer

I am looking for a low-end handheld electric mixer for small quick jobs, I use the stand mixer for everything else. Had a Braun for many years, unfortunately gave it away. The new Cuisinart was terrible, the cooling fan in the front blew ingredients all over the place, glad it broke quickly. Any less expensive brands/models anybody can recommend? Thanks.

asked by Green Card Gardener almost 6 years ago

Huh. I've been very happy with my Cuisinart 7-speed hand mixer. I've been using it for several years. The latest review from Cook's Country (12/09) gives good ratings to the Cuisinart HM-70 ($50) and the KitchenAid KHM9P ($80). They didn't test the Viking. The other models they tested and gave "recommended with reservations" for the most part didn't have good low speeds so batter would spatter all over.

I have the viking which I LOVE but before that I had kitchen aid, it was and still is reliable and inexpensive. When I got the Viking my daughter took the KA and is still using it, I think it has to be 8 years old.

ChefOno

I couldn't be happier with my Kitchen Aid (KHM920ACS). Sealed electronic controls. Slow-start to prevent stuff from flying everywhere. Slow slow, fast fast, never bogs, amazingly quiet. Soft grip feels good in the hand. Locking swivel cord for left or right handed use. Non-tip heel rest. Lots of accessories that I don't use but maybe someone else would find useful. $65 at BB&B.

Omeletta
Omeletta

Ruthy is a Recipe Tester for Food52

I have a great Black & Decker 5 speed, but my best source for equipment review is cooks illustrated: i typically don't buy anything for the kitchen without at least checking to see if they have an opinion. I don't always agree with their assessment, but it's a good place to start!

Green Card Gardener

I subscribe to Cooks Illustrated but that does not give you access to reviews by Cooks Country :-(

Green Card Gardener

Thanks everyone, that is helpful!

Do you really need a hand mixer? I asked that question last year and decided I didn't.
http://www.food52.com/hotline...

Green Card Gardener

I do. Stand mixer is like a car for long distance, hand mixer like a bike for short distance. I need both to get around :-)