🔕 🔔

Are pickles healthy

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer almost 5 years ago

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

The pickling process is high in sodium so as a "vegetable" choice pickles may not be not ideal

7e3191e5 c572 49d0 a90b f5e118b30d93  img 4692

With respect to dill pickles, typically the calorie count is very low. However, as Monita indicated, the salt content is not. In addition, look out for whether or not sugar is added.

8bbfe648 dc7e 43f9 816b 4de4ae50eec7  photo
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

Not all pickles have a lot of salt. I've found that perishable (not shelf-stable) brands, especially local refrigerated brands, may actually contain very little salt. Check the label and choose accordingly.

1dcc7c21 a794 442f 8a5f 1be76ddd7b94  you doodle 2017 02 12t14 57 20z

Most pickles are high in sodium, so for those of you on a medically restricted diet, it is best to avoid them. I have only made my own pickles once and the process I used was natural fermentation. The result was a pickle with much less sodium, so a lower sodium pickle is doable.