Are pickles healthy

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer almost 6 years ago

The pickling process is high in sodium so as a "vegetable" choice pickles may not be not ideal

viblanco

With respect to dill pickles, typically the calorie count is very low. However, as Monita indicated, the salt content is not. In addition, look out for whether or not sugar is added.

SMSF
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

Not all pickles have a lot of salt. I've found that perishable (not shelf-stable) brands, especially local refrigerated brands, may actually contain very little salt. Check the label and choose accordingly.

Linn

Most pickles are high in sodium, so for those of you on a medically restricted diet, it is best to avoid them. I have only made my own pickles once and the process I used was natural fermentation. The result was a pickle with much less sodium, so a lower sodium pickle is doable.