🔕 🔔

suggestions for tiki party

any ideas for appetizers for a tiki themed NYE party?

asked by student epicure almost 5 years ago

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

How about some shrimp and pineapple skewers (http://www.marthastewart...)

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

The iconic appetizer is Crab Rangoon (properly made with Dungeness crab -- and 'tis the season).

Sweet & Sour Ribs

Poisson Cru

Got a hibachi? Flaming Hibachi Beef Skewers.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

These are amazing:
http://steamykitchen.com...

F1dc6a89 1a62 45c6 9fa5 8870e12cc22a  firecracker shrimp

This is definitely "Tiki" http://www.food52.com/recipes... After several testings I decided it's better to use hard shell tacos when serving a crowd.

5b7755f4 f84e 4738 be55 06b56e9c2553  dsc 0008 002
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

what about jezebel sauce? pineapple preserves + powdered mustard + apple jelly + horseradish, over cream cheese...

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Spam and pineapple kabobs...very Hawaiian!!!

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Mai-tai's ! ! !
Dig deep and find some sugar cane sticks - ebay or amazon if you have to .
Dollar store little umbrellas to put in a piece of fresh ( NOT canned) pineapple to garnish.
In a pinch, serve dim sum as appetizers.
Buy some fresh tuna and chop into "poke", google to find a nice recipe but basically some cubed raw tuna with soy and ginger and onion and... Whatever
Wear a grass skirt! Of course.
Get dollar store grass hats for guests.
Download a bunch of Don Hoe music.
Gee - I wish I would be there !

Note that Tiki fare originated with San Franciscan Chinese, quite different from Hawaiian, either native or modern. Poke (POH-kay for you Facebookers and programmers) evolved completely separately from the Tiki craze. Spring rolls, dim sum, shrimp (especially the coconut variety) = Tiki; I don't recall ever seeing Spam on a Trader Vic's menu (no offense to Pierino's inspired concept).

I did a tiki party with

Coconut shrimp (#1 hit)
Grilled Chicken with an inspired sweet/sour sauce (#2 hit, everyone put the sauce on everything)
Honey/Soy grilled baby back ribs
Pineapple rice salad

You will have to let me know if you want any of the recipes and tell me for how many people, so I can scale it. The book is at my mom's house but I will be over there soon. Everything was surprisingly easy to make and it was a good menu. From a book called Parties for Less.