suggestions for tiki party

any ideas for appetizers for a tiki themed NYE party?

asked by student epicure almost 6 years ago

How about some shrimp and pineapple skewers (http://www.marthastewart...)

ChefOno

The iconic appetizer is Crab Rangoon (properly made with Dungeness crab -- and 'tis the season).

Sweet & Sour Ribs

Poisson Cru

Got a hibachi? Flaming Hibachi Beef Skewers.

These are amazing:
http://steamykitchen.com...

This is definitely "Tiki" http://www.food52.com/recipes... After several testings I decided it's better to use hard shell tacos when serving a crowd.

em-i-lis
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

what about jezebel sauce? pineapple preserves + powdered mustard + apple jelly + horseradish, over cream cheese...

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Spam and pineapple kabobs...very Hawaiian!!!

bigpan

Mai-tai's ! ! !
Dig deep and find some sugar cane sticks - ebay or amazon if you have to .
Dollar store little umbrellas to put in a piece of fresh ( NOT canned) pineapple to garnish.
In a pinch, serve dim sum as appetizers.
Buy some fresh tuna and chop into "poke", google to find a nice recipe but basically some cubed raw tuna with soy and ginger and onion and... Whatever
Wear a grass skirt! Of course.
Get dollar store grass hats for guests.
Download a bunch of Don Hoe music.
Gee - I wish I would be there !

ChefOno

Note that Tiki fare originated with San Franciscan Chinese, quite different from Hawaiian, either native or modern. Poke (POH-kay for you Facebookers and programmers) evolved completely separately from the Tiki craze. Spring rolls, dim sum, shrimp (especially the coconut variety) = Tiki; I don't recall ever seeing Spam on a Trader Vic's menu (no offense to Pierino's inspired concept).

nutcakes

I did a tiki party with

Coconut shrimp (#1 hit)
Grilled Chicken with an inspired sweet/sour sauce (#2 hit, everyone put the sauce on everything)
Honey/Soy grilled baby back ribs
Pineapple rice salad

You will have to let me know if you want any of the recipes and tell me for how many people, so I can scale it. The book is at my mom's house but I will be over there soon. Everything was surprisingly easy to make and it was a good menu. From a book called Parties for Less.