A question about a recipe: Birthday Lasagna

I have a question about the recipe "Birthday Lasagna" from merrill. Prep in advance and freeze?

• Posted by: ejm
  • February 17, 2013
63e3f20c 494a 4a3c 9451 7b0fe9f35d6b  food52 01 29 13 0083
Recipe question for: Birthday Lasagna

ATG117
ATG117 February 17, 2013

I know lots of people freeze lasagna, but I've never done it, nor have I frozen anything with fresh pasta. What I would certainly make ahead and freeze without any hesitation is the bolognese. And because that is probably the most time consuming part of this recipe, it may be a good place to start. Hopefully others will chime in.

ejm
ejm February 18, 2013

Thanks ATG - that is what I did - made it yesterday and will defrost when needed - won't be using fresh and was not sure how the no cook would fare in the freezer, will assemble the day we will have it.

Am still curious if anyone has made this and frozen it using the no cook noodles for future reference....

ATG117
ATG117 February 19, 2013

I would have soaked the no-cook pasta in a bowl of very hot water for a couple of minutes until the pasta was pliable. Then, I would have assembled and frozen. I think you would be okay. It was the fresh pasta that concerned me.

ejm
ejm February 19, 2013

Thanks! Good to have for the future.

linda
linda June 12, 2016

I regularly double the recipe and make either two pans or 4 loaf pans (or 1 pan/2 loaf pans). I use no cook lasagne sheets and just assemble and freeze - there is no discernible difference in taste, imo, between one baked fresh or frozen, thawed overnight and then baked.