1-1/2 cups of Kosher salt has been in 1 quart of water on the stove with my brining spices for at least 30 minutes, simmering, and STILL the salt hasn't dissolved. Any ideas what to do or what I'm doing wrong? Or should I just be patient? For how much longer??

chefdaniel
chefdaniel November 24, 2010

Oh you need more water. 1 1/2 cup should have at least a gallon of water. Then stir, stir, stir. You have saturated the water with salt so add more water.

TiggyBee
TiggyBee November 24, 2010

I think you may have too much salt. I've noticed that there is only a certain amount of salt that water will dissolve. I'm not sure why, but sometimes too much salt tips the balance and it won't all dissolve. Maybe try stirring to help it along and give it a bit more time. Has it been brought to a boil?

LisaCooks
LisaCooks November 24, 2010

The recipe said to take just 1 quart of water to make the brine and add it to the other 6 quarts of cool water. But you're right, I just added a few cups more and it dissolved right away. THANK YOU and happy Thanksgiving!

beachcomber
beachcomber November 24, 2010

"You have saturated the water with salt so add more water."

I have to say that both chefdaniel and TiggyBee blew me away with this simple logic - it would not have occurred to me to simply add more water when faced with this. It's a science thing, I guess, and that's not my forte. You guys are kinda smart. You helped LisaCooks but this is a lesson I learned as well.