Stuffed tomatoes.

Question about stuffing tomatoes with ground chicken. Esp. Cooking time.

• Posted by: Sam1148
  • March 24, 2013

Sam1148 March 24, 2013

I have one chicken breast, I plan to grind it and cook it..bind with a egg, cooked mushrooms, feta cheese; and stuff into tomatoes. I'm Concerned about cooking time. Forgo the egg? Use a another cheese? I'm guessing 20 mins at 325..but would make the tomato over cooked. I'll be adding bread crumbs at the last moment on top.

Greenstuff March 24, 2013

Think about cooking the ground chicken before stuffing, if that's not already your plan. You might forego the egg, but you don't have to--tomatoes stuffed with a cheese souffle mix are really good.

Sam1148 March 24, 2013

Oh, yeah...the chicken will be cooked before hand, with chopped mushrooms, onions; seasoned and cooled..and then extended with egg/bread crumb, and feta cheese. I just want the stuffing to set correctly without making the tomatoes mushy. It'll be 3 Roma tomatoes, cut in half and scooped out. Giving 3 half tomatoes pp. (for two).

Greenstuff March 24, 2013

In that case, I think you are okay. I think I cook my tomatoes with the souffle mix at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes, and if anything, they could use a bit more time without hurting the tomatoes. Sounds delicious, by the way.

Sam1148 March 25, 2013

Thanks. I ditched the egg..and just ground the chicken breast. Cooked it with onion and mushroom bit. Greek seasoning. Feta cheese and lemon juice. Used 4 rather large roma roma tomatoes, sharked out hollow. And stuffed with a bit a bread crumb inside. And on top. The stuffing was pre-cooked. and only gave it 25 min at 325..with a bit more bread crumb/olive oil and finished broil.
It turned out very well...and still have some leftover chicken mix for a chicken salad tomorrow.

BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo March 25, 2013

Greek version sounds great. For summer, I like precooked chicken, cucumber, onion, with soba noodles and sesame sauce in fresh tomatoes.