How do you know when it's time to have a French copper gratin pan re-tinned?

asked about 8 years ago

Great question, and I'd like to add a supplemental question: anyone know a good source for re-tinning?

This guy's the expert. His site is under construction, but you can still email him a question. http://www.brooklyncoppercookware.com/

barryvest214

Well when cooking in a copper vessel you must understand that copper can harm you if you cook with it. Thus the tin lining. So if you have spots of bare copper then that is bad. If the spots are small and your not using something very acidic then you should be ok. Acidic foods such as tomatoes or vinegar can leech out material from copper.

Midge

I'd like to ask yet another supplemental question: Is it true that I shouldn't subject tinned copper pans to very high temps? And if so, what's the max?

barryvest214

477 degrees is the temp. that tin melts.

Antonia, thanks so much for sharing this response with us -- learned so much!

Midge

Thanks barry and Antonia!

CopperJim

Retinning? East Coast Tinning in Rhode Island. http://www.eastcoasttinning.com

John Sangiorgio

I am pretty sure that Brooklyn Copper Cookware does retinning as well.

Steven

Try Newlyn Tinning for all your copper cookware re-tinning. Newlyn, Cornwall, United Kingdom.
newlyntinning.com
http://newlyntinning.com/