Urban Composter Bucket with Compost Accelerator deal

There is one day left on the Urban Composter Bucket . I have been eyeing it but have only found one review. I live in the city, and have composted for years. I have a lot of perennial flower and grow tomatoes, herbs, onions in containers. Towards the end of summer, I get flies. I think it might work to water my container garden with this and dump the bucket once a week. The waste could go from the bucket to the outside compost - once a week? It would be much riper at that point and might not attract flies. Though, I don't like the idea of having to chop everything so fine. Advice?

smslaw
smslaw April 29, 2013

If you're serious cook, you have lots of vegetable scraps. You'll fill the bucket more often than once a week. That's the problem with these smallish composters, you fill them up and they take a while to compost, but in the meantime, you have more scraps. Get a regular stainless steel compost bucket with a lid (LeeValley.com is a good source ). Just empty it into the outside compost pile when it's full.

TiBi
TiBi May 27, 2013

I have the Urban Composter Bucket and so far I like it. I have pet house rabbits, and they go through a lot of greens, plus I cook quite a bit so there's scraps from that too. The bucket is larger than a countertop compost bin... it's about 15" high and 11" wide at its tallest and widest. After a month and a half of use, I still haven't had to empty it yet. The accelerator spray that comes with it seems to work pretty quickly, and every time I add scraps to it (2-3 times a week) I press all the scraps down with an old potato masher. There is no smell to the scraps when I open up the lid, although the spray smells pretty "organic", and the juice that comes out of the spigot really reeks. I add a little bit of it to my watering can and I have to say my houseplants look amazing!

James Williams
James Williams November 14, 2013

The Urban Composter is easy to assemble and great for cooks. The spray works more efficiently than regular bokashi bran, and it's cleaner and easier to store. That's why I like it.