🔕 🔔

Urgent!! Does adding pear puree impact baking results?

I made a carrot cake recipe but did not have pineapple. Then i noticed i had a couple of perfectly ripe pears. So decided to use those. The cake has been baking for 2 hours now. Still like a pancake

asked by karen06 over 4 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I'm not positive about this, but I'm thinking that the acidity of the pears may be affecting whether the cake rises, and you may have to toss it. Pineapple, of course is acidic, too, but since you add it in chunks, it probably has less impact on the acidity of the batter than pear puree would.

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I agree with Barbara, did you add baking soda or baking powder or both? If your leavening agents are good (active) then most likely the puree is the culprit, the recipe I use calls for pineapple but well drained and in small pieces. The pear puree is almost like adding more liquid so that could be a factor also.

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I'm going to suggest it was the liquidity of the puree that's throwing off the ratios. Pineapple is in chunks, and drained, which is how it can mimic (sort of) the qualities oil. Adding pear puree is closer to just adding more water to the mix.

I don't think the acidity would have an effect - baking soda needs an acid to activate, and baking powder is added to all kinds of things that are acidic (fruit muffins, buttermilk scones, etc)

The recipe used just baking soda and buttermilk so i guess this is a case of too much acid. I guess it is toast for breakfast/brunch now :(

Thank you so much for your quick response. I really appreciate ot