Urgent!! Does adding pear puree impact baking results?

I made a carrot cake recipe but did not have pineapple. Then i noticed i had a couple of perfectly ripe pears. So decided to use those. The cake has been baking for 2 hours now. Still like a pancake

• Posted by: karen06
  • June 17, 2013

drbabs June 17, 2013

I'm not positive about this, but I'm thinking that the acidity of the pears may be affecting whether the cake rises, and you may have to toss it. Pineapple, of course is acidic, too, but since you add it in chunks, it probably has less impact on the acidity of the batter than pear puree would.

sdebrango June 17, 2013

I agree with Barbara, did you add baking soda or baking powder or both? If your leavening agents are good (active) then most likely the puree is the culprit, the recipe I use calls for pineapple but well drained and in small pieces. The pear puree is almost like adding more liquid so that could be a factor also.

Reiney
Reiney June 17, 2013

I'm going to suggest it was the liquidity of the puree that's throwing off the ratios. Pineapple is in chunks, and drained, which is how it can mimic (sort of) the qualities oil. Adding pear puree is closer to just adding more water to the mix.

I don't think the acidity would have an effect - baking soda needs an acid to activate, and baking powder is added to all kinds of things that are acidic (fruit muffins, buttermilk scones, etc)

karen06
karen06 June 17, 2013

The recipe used just baking soda and buttermilk so i guess this is a case of too much acid. I guess it is toast for breakfast/brunch now :(

Thank you so much for your quick response. I really appreciate ot