🔕 🔔

Carrot Cake

E73f3de9 b0d1 47fc 9b6b e129e6992b2f  img 5789

Today I made an amazing carrot cake from Sally's Baking Addiction. Had look up many carrot cake recipes and used this as the base. What I found interesting it called for brown sugar 1-1/2 cups and 1/2 cup granulated. My switch was 1 cup brown, one cup granulated. Not sure if this made a hige difference in how ot turned out but it is delicious. Instead of cream in the frosting I use A fresh Meyer's Lemon juice and zest. I ate too much frosting and had sugar shakes but OMGosh, delicious! My question is by switching the sugar measurements, would that impact end result?

asked 6 months ago

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

Yum! Here's a previous thread on some possible impacts of that sugar substitution: https://food52.com/hotline...

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

My go-to carrot cake recipe is an old Martha Stewart recipe that I adapted. I replaced all of the white sugar with brown sugar because, apart from adding a depth of flavor, brown sugar is more hygroscopic (water-loving) than white sugar...so the end result was more moist. I've done this for chocolate, red-velvet cakes and banana cakes, as well as brownies. When making simple, dump and stir cakes (where oil is usually an ingredient), I don't regard too many rules when using sugar substitutes. And when creaming is involved, I will often substitute varying amounts of brown sugar. If it suits the flavor, I substitute brown sugar for white sugar in both my yellow and white cakes as well. I happen to LOVE the flavor that brown sugar imparts to baked goods, so as long as I think the caramel-y, molasses-y flavor pairs well, I don't think twice.

When working with baked goods that aren't contained by a pan (cookies, pastries, enriched breads) I may experiment with substitutions, but I am aware that the texture, rise or spread may be altered a bit. Things I've successfully used varying amounts of brown sugar in include the previous mentioned items as well as pastry cream/custard, chocolate chip cookies, banana bread, tart and pie crust, shortbread, various scones, coffee cake, flourless chocolate cake, ice cream base, meringue, marshmallows, cheesecake, pound cake, etc.