what can I do with leftover mashed potatoes, leeks and brocolli?

• Posted by: @ShanilP
  • November 28, 2010

Voted the Best Reply!

Kayb
Kayb November 28, 2010

Finely chop the leeks and the broccoli. Stir in with the mashed potatos along with an egg, a little cream, and some flour to make a stiff batter. Fry 1/2 cup sized patties in hot oil for some wonderful savory potato pancakes. Top them with grated parmesan and chopped chives or scallions for a fancy treat.

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen November 28, 2010

If the leeks are uncooked, saute them in a soup pot and then add the broccoli. Add some stock and the mashed potatoes for a potato soup. Add some parmigianno at the end.

lastnightsdinner
lastnightsdinner November 28, 2010

Definitely used to make patties or croquettes, as Kayb suggests, or in a soup like healthierkitchen says. I have actually made a similar soup, a sort of broccoli and cheddar version where the potatoes are used as a thickener in place of cream.

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen November 28, 2010

I was figuring that ShanilP's mashed potatoes already have the cream and butter in them!

pierino November 28, 2010

I'm going with Kayb on this one. That's the direction my own criminal mind was working... hit it with a bit of Tabasco to boost the bitterness of the broccoli. But all of those flavors should work together.

mrslarkin November 28, 2010
jessm4
jessm4 December 3, 2010

BUBBLE AND SQUEAK! best left over solution a bit like what kayb and pierino have said - throw a fried or poached egg on top and you have a hearty breaky- mmm and tabasco- good call- or if you haven't already tried it give charlula a try- it's a mexican hot sauce that is all flavour though no heat- a really clean flavour.