What can I do with the green portion of leeks?

asked about 8 years ago

Clean them, chop them and use them to flavor stock, or any kind of soup really!

TiggyBee

Another idea is to wrap up a bouquet garni in them. : )

wtbryce

1. Stock (but moderate quantity relative to other stock components)

2. Szechuan dishes like double-cooked pork http://newyork.seriouseats... Good recipe in the F. Dunlop Szechuan cookbook http://amzn.to/aFdxIh

3. Compost (I've never successfully fully utilized leek greens)

gingerroot

I made a vegetable soup yesterday using the green parts of the leeks to flavor the stock (along with roasted vegetables, parsley, thyme) and then strained all the solids out. It was delicious.

sixelagogo

Or blanch them and weave them into a mat (good for tiki-coctail parties)

I agree with the bouquet garnie suggestion. Tie them up with a bay leaf and herbs.

sfmiller

I cut them into 1/2" shreds and cook them with long-simmered collards or similar greens.

WonderingWilla

Have no idea what everyone is grousing about with these. I just chopped up a bunch, blanched them (made sure none were too tough), and threw them in to a beef stir fry. Everything was eaten up.