🔕 🔔

RIP Marcella Hazan

Very sad: http://www.thebraiser.com...

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

asked about 4 years ago

Obit in The New York Times. Blessings on Marcella and her family.
http://www.nytimes.com...

This news didn't make my edtion of the New York Times---I'm on the other coast. It's heartbreaking to lose both Marcella and Penelope Casas in scarcely a month's time. Both had a huge influence on own my understanding of regional cooking.

60d970cf 53cb 427d 8e85 6341fad71c47  057

I have been cooking out of Marcella's books for many, many years. I feel she is my friend, mentor, teacher. I loved her opinions. I liked her palate which so accorded with mine (no sweets, cakes, endless desserts). I know she was 89 years old yet only a few days ago she was deep in a discussion with her Facebook page with followers about the lack of merit in making extruded pasta at home. I wrote down the two brands of dried pasta she recommended. Now she is gone and I am feeling lost. Silly really as she left us a body of work that was excellent. Marcella was the gift to us all and through her 7 books including her memoir, she keeps on giving to us. Vale dear Marcella Hazan. Now off to cook her her Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter (and salt of course) for another night and her Aragosto Alla Catalana (Cold Lobster Catalan Style). Tonight I will toast her with chilled white wine and eat her sublime Sardinian dish that has always enchanted me.