IT'S EASIEST, FASTEST, BEST WEEK! (WAIT, LITERALLY?) READ MORE »
🔕 🔔

Dcca139f 78d5 41a3 b57b 6d6c96424a1c  img 7818

I like to roughly tear the leaves into 1 to 2 inch pieces rather than shred them. Here's a pic of a radicchio salad that I like to make for reference. http://food52.com/recipes...

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

sexyLAMBCHOPx is a trusted home cook.

Your salad looks delicious, btw...

sexyLAMBCHOPx is a trusted home cook.

I like to trim the radicchio and cut or tear it into shreds or bite-size pieces. You have two assertive greens, will you offset with a sweet dressing?

C8ffa92e 3766 46b4 8290 dbef5c382a03  james joyce 1

Radicchio and arugala probably don't want to be on the some plate. I use radicchio combined with another less assertive green such as romaine. It's frustrating to me as a cook that Americans tend to reject bitter tastes. I was working a cooking job a few years ago and was disheartened by the fact that the radicchio was coming back to the kitchen barely touched. Drives me nuts!

I read your comment, Pierino, while I was in Bologna, just before I went out to dinner. I had a fine meal, which I ended with insalata mista--which was, you guessed it, arugula and radicchio. It turned out to taste quite good--and the color combination was gorgeous. I also wanted to add that if you think Americans are a hard sell on bitter flavors, you should see how resistant Germans are to bitter! Italy is so close to where I live, but it’s like pulling teeth to get rapini, cavolo nero, cicchoria, etc. in my town. Several years ago in a fit of frustration, I asked one of the green grocers what people ate for vegetables here. I got a one-word answer: Kraut.

Ad0d3623 a28a 4793 82a8 5f1ab0a2f633  dsc00426

One way to temper the bitterness of the radicchio is to soak it in an ice bath for about 30 minutes, then drain and dry it well.

Cf72275c fff5 4c3d 91ff b486112ca91a  stringio
Nancy Harmon Jenkins

Nancy is a food writer, historian, and author of many books, her most recent being Virgin Territory: Exploring the World of Olive Oil, forthcoming from Houghton Mifflin.

Here in Italy we usually sliver the radicchio in fine slices and dress it a bit ahead of serving with excellent olive oil and a few drops of good wine vinegar, plus salt of course. Both techniques--slivering and dressing in advance--help to cut down on bitterness. Autumn is a great time for these bitter salads--but I also wanted to mention a magnificent risotto I had a couple of years ago up near Verona that was made with locally grown (and famous) radicchio, equally slivered. Just a delicious combination.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

That sounds great and reminds me of a pasta I ate years ago in Vicenza (not far from Treviso.) I don't recall exactly what it was called, but it was a sort of lasagna, with just a couple of layers, including slivered radicchio. Very rich and delicious.

8bbfe648 dc7e 43f9 816b 4de4ae50eec7  photo
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

Pizzeria Delfina here in San Francisco serves one of my all-time favorites: Insalata Tricolore. It has radicchio, endive, and arugula lined up in 3 piles on a plate, like the Italian flag. They do the radicchio and endive in strips. Dressed with lemon vinaigrette and, I believe, grana padano. The greens work beautifully together and it's very pretty, too!

B565b377 04f2 4d18 bbcf fd85750084e4  jason wood headshot 2
Jason Wood

Jason is the Culinary Director at Glynwood and is dedicated to sourcing ingredients in a way that preserves our natural environment and local agriculture.

agreed. I chiffonade the radicchio for salads and dress ahead of time. this works well with kale too. I usually only leave the radicchio leaves whole if I braising them.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

I agree with vvvanessa--cut heads of radicchio into quarters and soak them in cold water for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Drain and shred like cabbage. I think radicchio goes really well with arugula and shredded kale, radish coins, and shaved fennel. Serve with a nice garlicky dressing--the assertive flavors of the greens can stand up to a well-flavored dressing.

F033d133 3151 4105 80a6 95cff6a63352  apple

Thanks everyone!! I ended up using 1 small head of torn raddichio, 1 bag of arugula, and a few leaves of romaine tossed in a citrusy orange-champagne vinaigrette with wheat berries, scallions and feta. The result was a perfect balance of acidic and bitter. Recipe TK soon!