🔕 🔔

Baking soda in toffee

Imake a lot of almond Roca toffee. I accidentally left out the baking soda in one batch.
I can't tell the difference, what part does baking soda play? I googled but couldn't find an answer.

asked by Dona about 4 years ago

The baking soda (a base) reacts with the acids in the candy and foams up. When it's poured out and starts to harden, the bubbles are trapped before they can escape (another reason the baking soda is added at the end). This lightens the texture of the candy, making it just a bit "crumblier" than it would be otherwise, i.e., easier to break off and easier to chew.

D347253b 88e5 4ba1 ab1b 7b10260231b2  stringio

Thanks!