Shelf life of butter

How long does butter last in the refrigerator?

asked by ATG117 almost 5 years ago

Ann Goldman

3-4 months, perhaps a bit longer in the winter. This will also depend on whether it's sweet or salted (sticks). Salted butter will last longer than unsalted. Be careful, butter picks up odors in the fridge.

I'd have to go to a web search on it, but Ann, don't you think 3-4 months sounds like too long for a fridge (vs freezer)? Sorry not to be more definitive.

Ann Goldman

Yes, sorry, 3-4 months in freezer, about a month in the fridge, although I find that it picks up odors, so I only defrost what we are using within a week, maybe two. At work however, I have staff who have other storage habits and will use butter kept in the fridge at work (in a sealed container) for well over a month & they insist that its fine.....

ATG117

Thanks! I'm always debating how much to freeze vs refrigerate.