Appetizer for lobster dinner?

My mother in law's 60th birthday is on Thanksgiving this year, and she wants lobster instead of a traditional meal. We have been tasked with bringing an app, and I want to make sure it fits with the simple menu (lobster, corn, potatoes).

asked by Lowetown almost 5 years ago

Oysters?

MTMitchell

We always have stuffed clams.

Bevi

Steamed Clams?

Flirty Foodie

How about a crab bisque? You're in the Bay Area, and Dungeness crab season just started! Below is my recipe for it...
http://flirtyfoodie.com/much-ado-about-crab-bisque-recipe/ (I'm new to this site, so I haven't yet added it to food52, but will shortly)

Sounds like a common meal here in New England. When you say appetizer to you mean a salad or soup course? If its salad, a staple her is the classic iceberg wedge, with bacon and great bacon pieces & cherry tomato halves ( or make it a chopped salad) or clam chowder.

oops - meant high quality bacon pieces and chunky bleu cheese dressing.

Lowetown

Thanks so much for the answers so far! By app I was thinking more along the lines of nibbles before dinner.

Thanks!

I plan on making these for the 1st time to bring as a hostess gift for my MIL for x-mas presented in a mason job. Maybe these would work? The reviews are amazing. Check the comments for more info. http://food52.com/recipes...

In the seafood theme, Coquilles St. Jacques (scallops in cream) which would be beautiful with a simple, boiled lobster. But only if you access to the stove top and oven right before serving. If the first course is not seafood... I just need a minute to think about that

How about shrimp with cocktail sauce served on ice with crudités? Classic and delicious!

Flirty Foodie

I has just about to suggest shrimp as well... But with maybe a avocado (also in season) dip

I do like the iceberg wedge myself---being old school. Once again thinking outside the lines, seaweed salad. Yes, really. It does pair up nicely with lobster.

Lowetown, what does your Mom love? To help us think about recommending an appetizer.

p.s. I want to eat at LambChop's house and dine on shrimp cocktail then lobster.
Please forward phone number for reservations. ;-)