sourdough starter - other uses?

I am feeding my starter and it got me to wondering - what if any - other uses are there for a starter, besides the obvious bread? Are there any? Other baking? Other non baking?

asked almost 5 years ago

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

Sourdough pancakes and waffles are great! This recipe for waffles looks promising:
http://www.savesourdough.com/sourdough-sweets-waffles-and-pancakes/

You can also make excellent pizza dough with it.

Also, the Tartine bread cookbook has recipes for things like brioche and kugelhopf made with a natural leaven.

Those waffles sound amazing! I will research pizza dough too - thanks!!!

Franziska

You can really use your sourdough starter in just about every bake that you generally would bake with just yeast. I have recently bought James Morton's 'Brilliant Bread' and the book includes recipes for Bagels, Croissant Dough, Challah, Baguettes, Brioche, Doughnuts, Hot Cross Buns, Panettone and lots of other things using sourdough starter. Every recipe I have attempted has come out brilliantly (as the name of the book suggests, after all). If you really want to 'get into' sourdough baking, I wholeheartedly recommend this book!