I saw a recipe posted by a food blogger for bourbon balls, which has you "sieve" the flour when making the batter, to get rid of lumps. Is there any reason why I can't use a regular sifter to do that? It sure seems a lot quicker to use a sifter. Thanks so much. ;o)

sadie_crandle
sadie_crandle December 10, 2010

Sieve is simply the Euro or British way of saying 'Sift' ... don't sweat it!

hardlikearmour December 10, 2010

I think a regular sifter or a mesh strainer would work just as well to get out the lumps.

violist
violist December 10, 2010

I've also just thrown all of the dry ingredients into a bowl and used a whisk to make it smooth. This was a tip that a friend gave me from Martha Stewart. It works perfectly.

iuzzini
iuzzini December 10, 2010

I always figured a sieve was for those of us without an actual sifter. Seems to be a comparable outcome.

spiffypaws
spiffypaws December 10, 2010

I think they mean sift. I've lived in SE Florida for the last 6 years-have learned professionally to always sift the flour-trust me! You don't always want to know what's in your flour-whisking won't keep the critters out.

nutcakes
nutcakes December 10, 2010

I hate using sifters. For the one trick pony aspect but also from turning a wheel or squeezing a handle. I use a wire mesh strainer, just place it over the bowl, measure my flour and any baking soda, baking powder and spices (it breaks up any clumping.) Use a whisk (or spoon, but whisk words best) to allow it to strain though, then whisk again in the bowl to distribute the ingredients more thoroughly.

RobertaJ
RobertaJ December 11, 2010

Absolutely the wire mesh strainer is the way to go. Sifters are a major PITA, hard to clean, and hard to use. "Sieve" and "sift" are interchangeable terms, and just mean to run your grain or other dry ingedients through a fairly fine mesh (not as fine as a chinois, but not like a colander, either). You will also frequently hear "strainers" refered to as "sieves".