I saw a recipe posted by a food blogger for bourbon balls, which has you "sieve" the flour when making the batter, to get rid of lumps. Is there any reason why I can't use a regular sifter to do that? It sure seems a lot quicker to use a sifter. Thanks so much. ;o)



RobertaJ December 11, 2010
Absolutely the wire mesh strainer is the way to go. Sifters are a major PITA, hard to clean, and hard to use. "Sieve" and "sift" are interchangeable terms, and just mean to run your grain or other dry ingedients through a fairly fine mesh (not as fine as a chinois, but not like a colander, either). You will also frequently hear "strainers" refered to as "sieves".
nutcakes December 10, 2010
I hate using sifters. For the one trick pony aspect but also from turning a wheel or squeezing a handle. I use a wire mesh strainer, just place it over the bowl, measure my flour and any baking soda, baking powder and spices (it breaks up any clumping.) Use a whisk (or spoon, but whisk words best) to allow it to strain though, then whisk again in the bowl to distribute the ingredients more thoroughly.
spiffypaws December 10, 2010
I think they mean sift. I've lived in SE Florida for the last 6 years-have learned professionally to always sift the flour-trust me! You don't always want to know what's in your flour-whisking won't keep the critters out.
iuzzini December 10, 2010
I always figured a sieve was for those of us without an actual sifter. Seems to be a comparable outcome.
violist December 10, 2010
I've also just thrown all of the dry ingredients into a bowl and used a whisk to make it smooth. This was a tip that a friend gave me from Martha Stewart. It works perfectly.
hardlikearmour December 10, 2010
I think a regular sifter or a mesh strainer would work just as well to get out the lumps.
sadie_crandle December 10, 2010
Sieve is simply the Euro or British way of saying 'Sift' ... don't sweat it!
Recommended by Food52