Help!! I made bourbon balls on Saturday morning, using a recipe from a food blogger, which she said is based on Martha Stewart's rum ball recipe. You make a brownie that's baked on a large 1/2 sheet, then break it up with the booze. They were good the first day (though the brownie seemed quite ordinary to me), but yesterday, they increasingly became very moist, so they were almost like a stiff cookie dough, and today, you can't pick them up without them falling apart into a chocolate mess all over your fingers. Is this typical? If not, what possibly could have gone wrong? (I checked the Martha Stewart recipe and the brownie, at least, seems identical. And I know that I made the brownie correctly, because it turned out fine.) And can I do anything to salvage the 18 or so that I did not pack into boxes and ship on Saturday? Thanks!! ;o)

AntoniaJames December 20, 2010

Okay, I think I found the answer. Martha Stewart starts her recipe with "Serve chilled." The recipe I used has instructions (the last step) to store in the refrigerator, but doesn't say to serve them chilled. Mine were out at room temperature for an hour or so yesterday by the time I started putting them on plates to deliver to some of the chocolate lovers in my zip code (along with 2 kinds of truffles). The key here really is to serve them chilled, and be aware that if they aren't chilled, they are a mess!! ;o)

betteirene
betteirene December 20, 2010

What's your humidity like? My guess is that they picked up a lot of moisture.

I'd try dipping them in chocolate.

My experience is that many of Martha's recipes are ordinary.

AntoniaJames December 20, 2010

betteirene, yes, the humidity was extremely high yesterday due to the constant drizzle/misting/rain, and my butler's pantry has a door going outside that was opened and shut quite a few times. That probably contributed. But I think that just being out of the fridge was the problem. "Someone" didn't put them back in the fridge after sampling some late last night, which is why they were even worse this morning. Now I know. But I won't be using the recipe again, in any case, because as I said, I found that even with the addition of excellent bourbon, the result was quite ordinary. Am looking for a better bourbon ball recipe. Frankly, the one that was very popular when I was a girl, which uses vanilla wafers, is better than the ones I just made. ;o)

anyone
anyone December 20, 2010

This is a fool proof recipe for bourbon balls and they taste excellent and don't mind room temp. Allthough this recipe was so simple and lacked complexity I was prejudice until I tasted one and now are my favorite.

1 cup vanilla wafers
1 cup powdered sugar
2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup pecans
1/4 cup bourbon
1 1/2 Tsp Karo syrup

pulverize wafers and mix with all dry ingredient then add karo syrup and bourbon and mix well. Form into balls and roll in powdered sugar.

AntoniaJames December 20, 2010

anyone, this looks an awful lot like what I remember doing when we made bourbon or rum balls as a kid. Thank you!! ;o)

betteirene
betteirene December 21, 2010

Well, that certainly was an easy fix. It's good that you were able to save them.

I'm curious--would you make them again?

AntoniaJames December 21, 2010

betteirine, no, absolutely not. As I said before, the basic component (the Martha Stewart brownie) is really unimpressive. Plus, if they're going to fall apart in your hands after they've been out of the fridge for an hour or two, they're not suitable for entertaining. Period. Thanks for asking, though. ;o)

anyone
anyone December 22, 2010

I'm glad I was able to help you!