Any suggestions for using chicken fat?

I roasted a chicken yesterday and made soup from the carcass today. I just skimmed off the fat and I have a good cup or so of quite good looking yellow chicken fat. Should I toss it or would it be good for anything? Would it freeze?

asked by Leah H almost 5 years ago

aobenour

Excellent for potatoes - roasted and latkes especially. I have successfully frozen it in an ice cube tray. You can use it any place you might use butter or oil - except baking of course.

There's a whole app dedicated to schmaltz (chicken fat)! Check this out for some inspiration: http://ruhlman.com/2013...

Don't throw it out! Rendered chicken fat is so good, it has it's own name (Yiddish?): schmaltz.

Anyhoo, how to use? Anywhere you would use butter or oil. Like:
- roast with potatoes
- saute with vegetables. Edamame stirfried with schmaltz = yummy goodness
- pates and mousses
- spread on bread like butter (haven't tried but my European friends swoon about it)
- roux for sauces and gravies
- pie crust for savory pies (a friend did this, very tasty)

Yes, you can freeze it for about 1-2 months or longer.

Leah H

Fabulous!!! I've been a secret Food 52 fan for ages (have both books - love!) - thanks for the answers! I'm going to bag it up now :) Thank you!

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

matzo balls...

All of the above, plus it's very good as the fat for a grain dish - for instance, in a rice pilaff. You can do half chicken fat, half butter or oil too. Or for something really delicious, use it to toast farfel (egg 'barley' - actually tiny rough noodle nubbins) along with sauteed onions and mushrooms, before cooking it all up in broth. The fat is possibly the best 'part' of the chicken.

Don't forget using it for matzo balls for soup!

barb48

If you need a little extra umph to get into a tight dress ... ;) And chopped liver, of course.