what to do with leftover roast chicken?

I hosted a large dinner party and roasted a bunch of chickens. I made three different soups from carcasses and scraps. But I still have a whole, untouched chicken. Any great ideas that can be frozen and taken out later. We have obligations all week so it won't get eaten anytime soon.

asked by KimW almost 6 years ago

Hagerty

Chicken enchiladas. Easy to make, and you can freeze them to bake later.

rosalind5

I like to make baked pasta casseroles with left over chicken. You can also incorporate any suitable left over vegetables (in an ideal world, these would include some mushrooms and corn). Cook the pasta to a firm al dente. Make a decent amount of white sauce, season, mix in the shredded chicken and chopped vegetables. Mix sauce and pasta in a casserole dish, cover with what ever cheese you have to hand. Pesto is a really good addition to the white sauce if you also happen to that to hand.

darksideofthespoon

Chicken Salad. My favorite. Shred it, add lots of mayo, grainy mustard, salt, pepper, finely diced shallots, celery and sometimes I put tiny diced dried cranberries in for colour and texture.

I think I might end up cooking some chicken just for a sandwich now, thanks!

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

For a similar recent thread on this topic, search the hotline for "what to do with leftover grilled chicken breast".

Do you have lunches free this week? Because a sandwich made with roast chicken, good bread and mayo, and some in season tomatoes is hard to beat. Or go crazy and cook up some good thick bacon to make a club sandwich - it doesn't get much better.

Get some small flour tortilla wraps, green onions, and Hoisin sauce.
Cut up some of the chicken and brush with hoisin sauce, put on foil and broil just a min to crisp up the skin. Serve like a 'mock peaking duck'. in the wrap with some green onions and more hoisin sauce.

petitbleu

I agree with the chicken salad recommendation. We usually make an Asian-style chicken salad with lots of celery, daikon, and shredded carrots plus a homemade Asian dressing (rice vinegar, sesame oil, sriracha, ponzu...whatever you have on hand).

Then, there's always chicken pie or casserole. My mother used to make something called Chicken Tortilla Stack--basically a layered dish of fried flour tortillas, spiced sour cream (cumin, coriander, ground chiles), poached shredded chicken, and cheese. Completely ghetto but absolutely delicious. Serve with salsa.

You could also go old-school and make creamed chicken crêpes.