Is there anything truly delicious that can be made with turnips? To me, they always taste like someone farted in an old sock

chef elina
chef elina January 4, 2014

U can bake them like French fries or boil them with salt n pepper on a cold day or put them in soup

Voted the Best Reply!

Sylvia9000
Sylvia9000 January 4, 2014

I roast them with other roots like potato, yam, carrots, garlic cloves and shallots with olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme or chilli flakes. All the other ingredients help to tame that fart-in-old-sock flavour. (I'm not partial to them either!)

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN January 4, 2014

i really really hate turnips but i did find out last year that there is a kind of turnip that is pretty tasty. macomber maybe? (or maybe that's one of the horrible strong flavored ones?)

zack
zack January 4, 2014

you may roast whole, wrapped in foil with tons of butter, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper until tender (cake tester can be easily inserted). Then dice and glaze in butter and chicken stock. would go nicely with a roast.

Jackie
Jackie January 4, 2014

Turnip Root Soup made with turnips, potatoes and onions. http://syrupandbiscuits.com/the-big-surprise-recipeturnip-root-soup/

petitbleu
petitbleu January 5, 2014

I always love the simplicity of stewed turnips. Simmer cubed turnips in milk until soft. Mash or puree them and add butter, salt and pepper, and a little sugar to taste.

Sam1148 January 5, 2014

Nope, It rather a unique taste...But rather on the earthy side of the taste profile.

I'm with you in the 'don't like' but will eat them...I won't go out of my way for them. Diced in turnip greens is probably the best way to eat them----with the vinegar pepper sauce.

Brette Warshaw
Brette Warshaw January 6, 2014

I like to roast them with a ton of salt and pepper and spices. The texture gets nice and they're reminiscent of potatoes that way.

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen January 6, 2014

they do become potato like in looks and I love them this way ( I stick to the white baby ones) but my family is always disappointed that they're not potatoes when they bite in!

bigpan
bigpan January 6, 2014

If you don't like turnip - don't buy them. Otherwise, I cube them with other root veg, toss with some tomato paste, and roast.

nutcakes
nutcakes January 6, 2014

They are excellent glazed with butter and sugar to bring out a caramelized sweetness. I love turnips added to a beef stew with carrots and potatoes, goes really well. I like it added to barley and lamb soup.

amysarah January 6, 2014

There's a classic French spring lamb stew (Navarin d'Agneau) made with white wine, whole baby onions, carrots, etc. and turnips. My mother used to make it actually - sadly, I don't have her recipe, but no doubt Julia Child, Patricia Wells, Jacques Pepin and so on would have one. Also, The Amateur Gourmet posted a recipe the other day for a Thai turnip omelet that looked really good and easy.

arcane54
arcane54 January 6, 2014

Sorry, I've tried to write a sensible answer (even helpful) but can't stop laughing over your question. That's first time I've ever heard a turnip compared to a fart... too funny -- but not inaccurate.