A question about a recipe: Heavenly Oatmeal-Molasses Rolls

E758a4de c2c0 4045 868d 261ebeb00d7d  2014 1030 molasses rolls 008

I have a question about the recipe "Heavenly Oatmeal-Molasses Rolls" from monkeymom. Is it possible to replace the milk with buttermilk?

asked by Shovel and Fork Farmstead over 4 years ago

petitbleu

Normally, I would say yes, but the recipe has you scalding the milk. If you try to scald buttermilk, it will separate into curds and whey, leaving you with a curdled, chunky mess. However, I still think you could use buttermilk--just don't heat it on the stove. Let it come to room temp and then add it. I mean, you could even use it cold, but it will slow the rising time.

Shovel and Fork Farmstead

Thanks! I did just that and they worked out fantastically!!!!

LE BEC FIN

but i do believe that bakers typically respond that changing from milk to buttermilk requires a change in your leavener(bak soda). I always forget the rule but you can find it through google.

petitbleu

It's true, Le Bec Fin, but in this case it's a non-issue, as yeast is the leavener.

Chef Jason Lee

Just make sure to readjust your bakers ratio's due to you adding more fat to the recipe