A question about a recipe: Heavenly Oatmeal-Molasses Rolls

I have a question about the recipe "Heavenly Oatmeal-Molasses Rolls" from monkeymom. Is it possible to replace the milk with buttermilk?

F283e8e3 ab84 45f4 847a 37fbd6dff2c5  open uri20141213 16649 18u6nt7
Recipe question for: Heavenly Oatmeal-Molasses Rolls

Chef J. February 6, 2014
Just make sure to readjust your bakers ratio's due to you adding more fat to the recipe

petitbleu February 6, 2014
It's true, Le Bec Fin, but in this case it's a non-issue, as yeast is the leavener.

LE B. February 5, 2014
but i do believe that bakers typically respond that changing from milk to buttermilk requires a change in your leavener(bak soda). I always forget the rule but you can find it through google.

petitbleu February 5, 2014
Normally, I would say yes, but the recipe has you scalding the milk. If you try to scald buttermilk, it will separate into curds and whey, leaving you with a curdled, chunky mess. However, I still think you could use buttermilk--just don't heat it on the stove. Let it come to room temp and then add it. I mean, you could even use it cold, but it will slow the rising time.

Shovel A. February 7, 2014
Thanks! I did just that and they worked out fantastically!!!!