ganache with 82% cocoa

I want to make a ganache with 6 oz 82% cocoa - any thoughts on how much cream I should add? This is for a millionaire style bar so needs to be spreadable.

• Posted by: aargersi
  • February 26, 2014

petitbleu
petitbleu February 26, 2014

I normally use equal parts chocolate to cream when it comes to making a basic ganache. However, I'm wondering if the very high cacao percentage in the chocolate you want to use won't make the ganache curdle? I'm hoping one of the hardcore bakers will chime in. I make ganache all the time, but I use 72% chocolate. Maybe you should try messaging boulangere.

aargersi February 26, 2014

Yeah that's my concern but I don't want to go to the store - I do have one 62% bar - maybe I use one of each? And mix with an immersion blender?

nancy essig
nancy essig February 26, 2014

82% chocolate will make a bitter ganache. If you enjoy eating that chocolate out of hand, go ahead but otherwise use a lower cacao content. Rule of thumb is equal amts. of chocolate to cream.

hardlikearmour February 26, 2014

RLB likes to make ganache with slightly more cream to chocolate for spreading onto cakes. She uses 13.5 oz cream to 12 oz chocolate. If the rest of the bar is sweet or even too sweet, the more bitter chocolate should work.

aargersi February 26, 2014

Thanks HLA! Yes the bars are very sweet (caramel!) so I think bitter chocolate is a good choice. With more cream. Got it.