🔕 🔔

Chili Recipe

I want to try a chili recipe that includes cocoa powder and brown sugar. But since I have not bought a can of cocoa in the last 30 years I do not see myself using it in the future. I do have some good bittersweet/semisweet bar chocolate. Should I consider subbing in some of the bar chocolate for the cocoa and brown sugar? Offhand I would say what I have is at least 70% chocolate.

asked by caninechef 8 months ago

I have a food substitutions book which advises using 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 to 1.5 tbsp sugar and 1/2 tbsp butter for every ounce of semisweet chocolate.
For bittersweer 1 oz, same recommendations on butter & sugar, but use only 2 tbsp cocoa.
Hope this helps.

Cav

I'd certainly use the bitter chocolate and add it to taste. I like to use it to deepen the flavour of a chilli but not as a a prominent aspect. Depending on the amount you're making I'd chuck in two to four chunks, let it simmer for a half hour so it can meld, then maybe add more if it needs it.

Sugar I never use in chilli or stews, so I'd leave it in the cupboard.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Buy a small container for the chili, splurge!, and use the rest to make https://food52.com/recipes....

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Buy your cocoa powder in a store that sells spices, beans, nuts, peppers, etc. bulk. Just buy what you need.

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

I head for the bulk food section at the grocery store. Love buying just what I need and it costs pennies compared to buying a whole bag/can.

Thanks for the suggestions. Since the goal of this chili was to use ingredients I had that needed using up I did not want to actually buy stuff to make it. I did like the idea of the bulk food store though the one place I checked did not have cocoa. So I used a small amount of the semisweet bar and skipped the brown sugar in the recipe. Seemed to work fine though I had nothing to compare to. It certainly did not ruin the vat of chili I now have for lunches.