🔕 🔔

storing extra sliced pears I sautéed in browned butter and rum

I was thinking of putting them in a pie or crostata (may not be enough for a pie) which I would then freeze. Or is it better just to freeze the fruit on its own? If the former, better to freeze baked or unbaked? My inclination is towards unbaked.

asked by ATG117 about 4 years ago

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

Hi ATG117, I freeze unbaked pies (not cream pies or custards) and then bake the straight from the freezer. I'm sure it would work just as well for a crostada, although there is the possibility of freezer burn on the fruit. If you don't have a lot of pears, maybe make hand pies or pop tarts? They freeze well (unbaked), too.

ATG117

Thanks, Cathy!