Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

I'm making a gumbo recipe by Donald Link that I found in Food and Wine. Here's the link: http://www.foodandwine...

I'm noticing that it calls for an awful lot of clam juice. I realize it makes 15 servings but just want to confirm that the proportions seem correct. I worry that the clam taste will be overpowering.

Thanks.

asked by ryanhecht almost 6 years ago
6eb27e5d f317 4cf7 8b7a 2782bb7d92c2  title01

I'd trust link completely. He knows gumbo. But if it makes you nervous, then just scale back the clam and add more broth. All gumbo recipes are guidelines, not formula. Put what you want in the pot.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I think it'll be fine. Most seafood gumbo recipes use shrimp or fish stock. If you're worried about it you could go half water, half clam juice. Check out the gumbo pages for reference. http://www.gumbopages.com...
Also, I strongly urge you to make your roux in the oven. It's much easier to get a brick roux w/o burning it that way - 350 degrees F, will take about 90 minutes, stir every 30ish minutes, though toward the end I stir it every 15ish minutes.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

He's using clam juice to add more seafood flavor to the shrimp stock. I never use clam juice--my husband is allergic--and I don't think you'll notice the difference if you use water. If you have shrimp with heads, you could make a separate stock by boiling the heads for 20 minutes in 1.25 gallons of water and straining it into the soup. I imagine that's what he does in his restaurant rather than use commercial clam juice. (He probably uses crab and crawfish shells, too.)