2 (!) new cookbooks from Food52—comin' atchya. Shop the presale »
🔕 🔔

Substitute for double-strength vanilla?

I'm excited to make the Vanilla Kipfl in the current "Your best walnuts" contest, but failed to notice it requires double-strength vanilla! Any good ideas for substitutes? I have some vanilla bean paste and some whole beans in the pantry Thanks!

asked by arcane54 over 2 years ago
84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I think most people just add double what the recipe asks for in situations like this, and that's what I'd do for this recipe. You could certainly substitute the paste or some whole vanilla bean instead. Generally recipes for walnut filling like this one don't have to be exact.

Oh, I see it's in the dough as well as the filling... Well, same advice, though if it were me, I'd probably just substitute plain vanilla.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.