🔕 🔔

removing innards from chicken?

threw a chicken in the slow cooker and didnt think. chicken is done...ubt i didnt remove any innards. shoudl i toss the chicken due to safety concerns?

asked by Sean over 2 years ago
E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

define innards - just the giblets that come in the chicken? I would think it's fine - we eat those too, right? But maybe Google it to be sure ...

Those "innards" are generally wrapped in plastic. This means you've cooked a bunch of plastic inside your bird. That wrap leaches chemicals into your food. (first reason I wouldn't eat it.) Then, the liver will likely have imparted its very own unique flavor to the chicken, which may not be the flavor you intended.

84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

I've bought grocery-store chickens before where the "innards" aren't wrapped at all, so it's not a given that plastic would be an issue, but agree that they will almost definitely impart a funky flavor after a good soak in the slow cooker. At the very least, though, you should be able to salvage the carcass for stock.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

When I buy whole chickens, the innards are usually enclosed in a paper pouch - if these were too, I'd think that would be safe. If so, I'd just taste to see if the flavor was unpleasantly affected by the innards.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

Ha! Once my husband and I proudly brought a home-raised and butchered turkey to the family Thanksgiving, where it was roasted. Upon cutting into the bird---Oops!---we saw we had forgotten to remove the crop (gizzard). It was full of still bright green grass (the last meal) plus the gravel that aids digestion. I hid the turkey with my body while my husband deftly removed the offending (well-cooked) innard. We survived to tell the tale.

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

LOL!