In search of a very good baked good recipe to give as get-to-know-you gifts to new neighbors!

Just moved, and want to bake something to leave for our new neighbors (small building of 4 apartments). We live next to one of the best chocolate chip cookie bakeries in NYC, so that option is out. Would like something universally generally liked (no bold flavors), but pretty-looking and guaranteed to be pretty darn delicious. Mini olive oil cakes? Blondies? Help welcomed!!!

asked by Posie (Harwood) Brien over 4 years ago

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

The genius olive oil cake was honestly one of the best desserts I've ever made. I think those would be great in cupcake or muffin form, especially if you get cute, bakery-style wrappers like the ones from Provisions!

Posie (Harwood) Brien

thanks lady! having made it, did you have any issues with the oil settling out in the second or third day (assuming it lasts that long?)

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Nope, mine was still great on day three (though I did keep in the fridge)! The inner circle of the cake was definitely the most moist, but I think that wouldn't be an issue with smaller, higher muffins.

Chocolate Bundt Cake
https://food52.com/recipes...

EmilyC

I just made inpatskitchen's Gran's Gifted Cheesecake and loved it! It with some fresh berries will score you huge points.

How about a basket of scones, with some nice jam and a box of tea? But first, find out if the new neighbors have any food allergies, because you wouldn't want to accidentally kill them.

Not much better gift than brownies. Almost everyone loves/craves them. Try these:
https://food52.com/recipes...

I agree with brownies. This genius recipe is genius because its rich & easy-to-make, and unique - don't forget the Maldon sea salt! https://food52.com/recipes...

https://food52.com/recipes...

Ugh, cant figure out the link. Do a recipe search for Alice Medrich's Best Cocoa Brownies-cocoa-brownies.

Anything with chocolate and is nut-free. I know very few people who don't like chocolate, but I'm beginning to see more people with severe nut allergies.

Biscotti are easy to make, but keep well and look impressive. If you don't want to use nuts (allergy issues) you can use dried cranberries or cherries, chocolate chips...I just made a batch of a Venetian variation with cornmeal and dried currants (recipe is in Julia Childs' Baking book) - delicious and pretty too.

Stephanie G

My standard new neighbor gift is a loaf of home made challah. My favorite recipe is from the Smitten Kitchen cookbook. I think people love challah and a home made loaf is so rare these days. Plus, the potential is there for sandwiches, French toast, etc. so they have something easy to grab and eat while unloading boxes or hanging pictures.

ATG117

I love the idea of going with a classic brownie, wrapped simply in a brown box with twine.

Posie (Harwood) Brien

Thank you all for the fantastic suggestions! Keep 'em coming

These are the best chocolate chip cookies that I've tasted in a long time and they're just different enough and good enough to rival the local bakery,
http://buddingbaketress.blogspot.com/2012/04/coconut-coffee-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

Trust me on this one. These were the hands-down favorite at our last bake sale.

nutcakes

Maybe stay away from cookies, or at least the type sold next door. I do know a great cranberry, nut, coconut jumble from Fine Cooking everyone loves. My "go to" impress treat lately is a shortbread with apricot filling, similar to a recent genius recipe but with almost paste, served cut into small squares, a tiny bit crumbly but can be eaten by hand on a napkin or a plate with fork. Dead simple but seems fancy like from a bakery. What about those fancy shortbreads with caramel and chocolate and nuts? Financiers? But of course everyone loves cupcakes, maybe a stuffed one? If you want either recipe I mentioned just say. I did make a sherry olive oil cake once with cubes of guava paste that was fantastic.

I gave this for Christmas one year to neighbors, with a jar of jam, and a hunk of superior chocolate:
https://food52.com/recipes...

Patti in Mississippi

https://food52.com/recipes...
These are super easy and can be a breakfast or dessert.

aussiefoodie

I've really enjoyed making candies lately - some of my favorites have been homemade marshmallows, caramel corn, pumpkin caramels.