Our NYC Holiday Market opens today at noon! Come and see us »
🔕 🔔

Can you save my boyfriend from scurvy and/or malnutrition?

He's working a crisis for the next 70 straight hours at least. I need food that's generous (serves 8 or more), holds up well in the refrigerator (it may have to last several days) and vaguely nutritious (there's no cafeteria). Please send your favorite potluck dishes, grain salads, casseroles, and so on that fit the bill! I am greatly appreciative. His survival depends on you!

asked by epicharis over 2 years ago

In the Search field, enter "recipes that feed a crowd" and click on Recipes.

69d2403d 88f4 4b72 b0b9 84a21f4d0561  img 1445

I would make a lasagne, either with meat or vegetarian. It feeds a lot, re-heats well, and can even be frozen. You might also want to make some salads in a jar, which will provide vegetables/nutrition and can be made several days ahead of time. For lunches, I would made a big batch of chicken salad, which can be plopped onto bread for a quick but filling lunch. You could also make a bit batch of grain salad (I really like Amanda's salad, https://food52.com/recipes...). You can easily swap out vegetables that are in season, or ones that will last longer (I've made it with sweet potato, which was lovely). Put it in a tupperware and add salad leaves to a single portion's worth to keep things fresh and add crunch.

Every body forgets the fruit salad. Cut up a bunch of fresh fruit and pour either a little OJ on top or squeeze a few lemons or limes to keep it fresh. It's a great shot of energy when your tired.

Or just cut up a watermelon or 2. Slices w the rind on makes a great mobile snack.

F3fdbabe d72e 44f9 919d eecf03b7e10e  liza skitchenlogo

Baked ziti or lasagne would work well as they both hold up well in the fridge and can feed a crowd. You could also do a Mediterranean platter (hummus, tabbouleh, falafel, babaganoush, pita, roasted peppers, grilled chicken, and grilled veggies) or short rib stew, chicken and dumplings, chili with cornbread, or shredded bbq chicken with corn, slaw, and macaroni salad.

Scurvy comes from a deficiency of Vitamin C. British sailors in the 18th century got the nickname "Limeys" because limes were aboard their ships so they wouldn't develop scurvy. So I doubt he's likely to get that during his work marathon. ;) That said, many foods will hold up well for several days in the fridge. I would avoid fish as it tends to get rank after 3 days, but foremost, I'd be concerned with what foods he really enjoys eating. Having those around will make the marathon less tedious. So it's hard to know what to suggest knowing nothing about him and his food likes and dislikes. Personally, I'd love a bunch of salad fixings (already prepped) and a jar of homemade vinaigrette for easy to assemble fresh salads. I also love chicken salad, either in lettuce cups or sandwiches. One of our new favorite things to eat is Rivka's salad here on food52 of Yams, Zucchini and chick peas. We don't care for tahini, so I make it with a lemony, mustardy vinaigrette. It keeps very well in the fridge and is SO delicious as a main or a side. I would also suggest a meat loaf. that can be heated up or great for sandwiches.