Why my cinnamon quick bread doesn't rise up? :'(

½ cup butter, softened (1 stick)
½ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla, extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda

• Posted by: sandra
  • October 5, 2014

Susan W October 5, 2014

Your recipe looks valid. Does it by chance rise and then fall? I used to make an Amish cinnamon quick bread that I sometimes had that issue with. I stopped greasing the sides of the pan and that solved it. Could your baking soda be old?

sandra
sandra October 6, 2014

Thanks for you answer Susan :) But I dont' think because of the baking soda because I'm using a new one. Do you think I over mix?

sandra
sandra October 6, 2014

Susan W October 6, 2014

Sandra, it could be over mixing. My daughter has over mixitis and she has issues with cookies and quick breads. I would check your oven temp too.

Susan W October 6, 2014

I meant to add..your bread looks moist and tasty. Just kinda short. :)

foofaraw
foofaraw October 5, 2014

I agree with Susan W's answer about the old baking soda. When I get a new baking soda, I usually pour them into a canning jar/any glass jar with metal lid+silicon lining (Smuckers PB is ideal)) so it lasts much longer.
Also, what is the temperatre of the oven? It could be too hot (rise and fall), or too low (doesn't create enough bubbles)

Susan W October 5, 2014

What a good idea. I've always just left my soda in the box. A jar is a great idea.

foofaraw
foofaraw October 5, 2014

Susan W: yeah, I found out that putting it in a jar makes it lasts really long. If I let it stay on the box, even though the baking soda still passes the freshness test, the bread doesn't rise as much as when the soda box is opened for the first time.

Susan W October 5, 2014

I rarely eat bread, so I no longer make it, but I do make an occasional batch of cookies. I think I'll buy a new box next time and use your method.