Cooking with kids

Suggestions for making dinner and dessert with three boys, ages 12 and two 9 year olds. Need to keep it simple, yet keep their attention. We are making dinner for their parents

Susan W October 9, 2014

My daughter and her friends used to love making tacos or pizza for everyone. Cookies or ice cream sundaes for dessert. You can make your own tortillas or not. Your own pizza dough or not. You can do a taco bar or serve them at the table. Sundae bar or served at the table. Fun for all!! :)

witchykitchen
witchykitchen October 10, 2014

I second the pizza idea, my daughter loves kneading (basically pounding on) the dough, and you can make little pizzas - kids like picking out their own toppings.

Susan W October 10, 2014

Grownups like choosing their own toppings too. :0)

Voted the Best Reply!

Sam1148 October 10, 2014

That's good age. You might need to stew them a bit longer to tenderize. I'm not sure about the desert tho. Maybe some type of Pie..in a Titus Andronicus way.

Food odyssea
Food odyssea October 10, 2014

Haha

amysarah October 10, 2014

When my daughter was little she used to love making ricotta gnocchi with me - I'd mostly measure, she'd stir, roll the dough into snakes, cut it and run the pieces along a fork to make ridges. (Basically delicious Play Doh.) Those ages are also old enough to fish them out of the boiling water with a slotted spoon, as the rise to the surface. We also made a lot of Chinese dumplings, using store bought wrappers - she was far better at folding and sealing than I was!

HalfPint October 10, 2014

Because I love this kind of thing, I suggest making brownies in a mug,
http://www.number-2-pencil.com/2013/02/21/microwave-brownie-in-a-cup/

Or Chocolate Chip Cookie in Mug (sort of),
http://www.thecomfortofcooking.com/2013/05/1-minute-chocolate-chip-cookie-in-a-mug.html

Each child can mix and nuke their own mug. Even adults love this.

Susan W October 10, 2014

Confession...I love number #2pencil's brownie in a mug and her recipe for 2 cc cookies. No kids involved. :)

ChefJune October 10, 2014

It really depends upon their interest in cooking and how much they've done in the past. By 9 I was making part of the meal as a matter of course, but not all kids are interested, or take to cooking well. Most kids love spaghetti and meatballs, though, and I'd venture into meatball territory with three of them. They'll really feel they've accomplished something.

Sadaf F K.
Sadaf F K. October 10, 2014

I'd suggest them to make something healthy yet simple. Make smoothie using yogurt as a base. Add some fruit(s) peaches, mangoes, strawberry and it can be any. Blend them thoroughly and Enjoy. Here's the example: http://chefinframe.blogspot.com/2014/03/2-ingredients-strawberry-lassi.html

Emily
Emily October 10, 2014

Tacos or pizza
Anything where they can mix or design it

Nancy October 11, 2014

Rather than a menu, some goals. Have the boys tell you some of their parents favorite mains & desserts, so you're sure to please the honorees. Pick dishes relatively simple to make. And that will teach the boys a basic technique or two so they can see if they like cooking, and begin building their skills. And have fun along the way.