Salad Dressing idea for Taco Salad?

I'm just putting together some romaine and I have shredded chicken taco meat. So I will add beans, corn and shredded cheddar. I have tortillas I can make into strips. What should I dress it with? I have lemons but no limes or I would do tomato lime dressing. I have commercial salsa.

asked by nutcakes about 4 years ago

nutcakes

I don't have avocado or cilantro either but I have sour cream. Still searching...

Megan

Sometimes people put french dressing (the ketchup-y kind) on taco salad. I'm sure some people would see that as an abomination, but I'm not afraid to admit that I've enjoyed a taco salad made with french dressing (and crumbled up doritos!). I've used this one (without the blue cheese and scaled down quite a bit) http://allrecipes.com/recipe.... It is very sweet, but I find it somehow delicious with taco salad. Maybe not the flavors you were going for, but since you don't have any cilantro or lime, you could consider it!

Loves Food Loves to Eat

My college roommate introduced me to the french dressing + Doritos taco salad! I thought it was just her!! At first I balked... but not gonna lie... it's pretty good :).

jonakocht

I'd go with lemon, sour cream, mayo, some water, neutral oil, minced onion, garlic, jalapeno, and blend it all together.

nutcakes

OK thanks, after considering the permutations, I went with a red wine vinaigrette with cumin and garlic. Then I plopped a spoonful of sour cream and topped that with salsa. So I got pretty much everything I wanted. Just dressing it with lemon would have been fine too Susan W is right, everything is already flavorful I just didn't want dry lettuce. I've no idea why I didn't make this before, I always have shredded seasoned chicken onhand as well as lettuce and radish and cuke. The corn tortilla strips were quick and crunchy. YUM!

I love a good taco salad. I grew up in San Diego, so I have eaten them all my life. I haven't had one in a while, so I think it will happen soon. I think my mom started the "salsa as dressing" thing. I forgot this, but I think she added oil and cumin to it. It's fun and easy to make your own taco seasoning. Google homemade taco seasoning. I also like to use seasoned ground beef. When it's warm, it wilts the lettuce nicely.

CarlaCooks

Susan, I think we are two peas in a pod. I grew up in LA and taco salad will always have a spot in my stomach/heart! I usually make it with ground beef as well, though I like to use a cilantro and creme fraiche dressing in addition to salsa! Add lots of satuéed onions and peppers, fresh corn, avacado, and a mixture of romaine and kale, and I can even think of taco salad is a meal that won't kill me in the end!

Carla, wasn't it us that talked about loving Rubios? If so, we should be roomates and always eat fish tacos and taco salads. I'm going to use your dressing idea and add kale next time.

John Sheffield

The Tex-Mex place I worked at used Mayo, thinned out with around 1/4 that amount of Buttermilk and a dose of MSG.

Beverly Collet

Have you ever made cilantro lime dressing? It is out of this world and very attractive in color.

cayt

Mix sour cream and salsa in a 1:1 proportion. Sounds gross but it's really good. Makes a thick, saucy like dressing.

ktr
ktr

I usually mix salsa, sour cream and avocado. I often just plop them on the salad separately and mix them into the salad rather than mixing them ahead of time.

cayt

Yes to the cumin (Susan W mentironed) and - if there's none in the salad, add some chilies...fresh or dried, chopped. Or ground dried. Or crumbled dried. Whatever you have on hand, for taste and color.