My favorite is a chuck roast that I cut up myself. I also used boneless short ribs recently. Turned out great.

We often buy a thickly cut sirloin steak and cube that - tender and delicious

My 'go to' for a long braised beef stew is chuck too. I sometimes use meaty beef shanks for soups - inexpensive cut, but tasty and tender after long slow cooking. If you throw a couple of those in the stew pot too, the bones add great flavor and are easy to fish out (and you have the delicious marrow - chef's treat.)

Andrea Nguyen
Andrea Nguyen

Andrea is a cooking teacher, food writer, contributing editor at Rodale's Organic Life, and a cookbook author; her latest book is The Banh Mi Handbook.

Chuck is fabulous, with the chewy bits. When I use shank in stew along with chuck, I cut the shank pieces smaller than the chuck because shank takes longer to become tender.

Yes, good point! You can let the bones simmer in there too, after cutting the meat into pieces.