The exclusive Italian nonstick from Ballarini the pros swear by. Shop now »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Smoky Fried Chickpeas - a work-around

I'm thinking of making a tagine on Sunday, for a dinner on Tuesday. These delicious chickpeas (https://food52.com/recipes...) would be perfect with drinks, but I'm constitutionally averse to standing over hot splattering oil as guests arrive, especially while decompressing from work...and you KNOW if you're expecting guests, that's the day something pesky will come up last minute. So, has anyone ever made this ahead of time (I might be able to tackle it at lunch,) then reheated them in the oven? If so, how? Were they still crispy and delicious?

PS how does that nifty link to a recipe in the subject line work? Tried, failed.

I have not made these (they sound incredible), but I roast soaked dried chickpeas all the time and they don't lose their crunch. I prefer them at room temperature, but you could easily reheat them. The only thing I can think of is that canned chickpeas contain more moisture, so they may not hold the crispy texture. They should crisp right back up in the oven. Be careful because they tend to go from perfectly golden to burnt if you don't watch them carefully.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

They are delicious, but I've never done them ahead before. I think you're right - reheating in the oven seems like it should work fine.