How to spice up a flourless chocolate cake.

Have a great flourless chocolate cake recipe and want to add another level of flavor. Looking for thoughts about spices, i.e. cinnamon. Making an 8" cake, with 4 oz of semi-sweet chocolate and a cup of unsweetened cocoa.

• Posted by: DebJ
  • October 27, 2014

Alex Bradstreet
Alex Bradstreet October 27, 2014

Cayenne for some heat! Serve with creme fraiche or homemade whipped cream and berries

SMSF
SMSF October 27, 2014

How about trying one of these:
- instant espresso powder
- a bit of almond extract
- a very small bit of mint extract
- ground ginger

jamcook
jamcook October 27, 2014

If you are near a Penzey's they have a "baking spice " that is a sort of magical mixture of several,warm spices.. ( cinnamon, anise seed,allspice, mace and cardamom.) I have added it to several things.. Streusal, muffins, fruit pies.. People love the taste but can't pinpoint the spice. I think a little would be lovely in chocolate cake.

drbabs October 27, 2014

I've used orange and cardamom https://food52.com/recipes..., as well as Chinese 5 spice powder (which I LOVE). Not a huge fan of cinnamon and chocolate. I also always add some powdered espresso which really amps up the chocolate.

EmFraiche
EmFraiche October 27, 2014

I second the espresso recommendations. Also, try sprinkling some Maldon or other large flake salt over the top before baking. Some bites will have a slightly salty pop that is delicious. =)

boulangere October 27, 2014

I like to add peppermint oil. I've also added coconut extract, then after I've spread the surface with whipped cream, I scatter it with some toasted coconut. You can also sub a couple of ounces of good, fruity olive oil for an equal amount of butter, and add some sea salt.

WileyP
WileyP October 27, 2014

I steep a few cinnamon sticks in a cup each of espresso and brown sugar for about 20 minutes. Then I stir in a teaspoon (yes a teaspoon) of ground cayenne and 3 sticks of unsalted butter. That mixture goes into a bowl with 12 ounces of chopped semi-sweet chocolate, 4 ounces of chopped unsweetened chocolate and 8 beaten large eggs. It bakes in a bain marie for about an hour, 'til the center is almost set. Coll it, and then refrigerate it. Serve it with cinnamon ice cream and raspberries. To die for!