How to spice up a flourless chocolate cake.

Have a great flourless chocolate cake recipe and want to add another level of flavor. Looking for thoughts about spices, i.e. cinnamon. Making an 8" cake, with 4 oz of semi-sweet chocolate and a cup of unsweetened cocoa.

asked by DebJ almost 4 years ago

Alex Bradstreet

Cayenne for some heat! Serve with creme fraiche or homemade whipped cream and berries

SMSF
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

How about trying one of these:
- instant espresso powder
- a bit of almond extract
- a very small bit of mint extract
- ground ginger

jamcook

If you are near a Penzey's they have a "baking spice " that is a sort of magical mixture of several,warm spices.. ( cinnamon, anise seed,allspice, mace and cardamom.) I have added it to several things.. Streusal, muffins, fruit pies.. People love the taste but can't pinpoint the spice. I think a little would be lovely in chocolate cake.

I've used orange and cardamom https://food52.com/recipes..., as well as Chinese 5 spice powder (which I LOVE). Not a huge fan of cinnamon and chocolate. I also always add some powdered espresso which really amps up the chocolate.

EmFraiche

I second the espresso recommendations. Also, try sprinkling some Maldon or other large flake salt over the top before baking. Some bites will have a slightly salty pop that is delicious. =)

I like to add peppermint oil. I've also added coconut extract, then after I've spread the surface with whipped cream, I scatter it with some toasted coconut. You can also sub a couple of ounces of good, fruity olive oil for an equal amount of butter, and add some sea salt.

WileyP

I steep a few cinnamon sticks in a cup each of espresso and brown sugar for about 20 minutes. Then I stir in a teaspoon (yes a teaspoon) of ground cayenne and 3 sticks of unsalted butter. That mixture goes into a bowl with 12 ounces of chopped semi-sweet chocolate, 4 ounces of chopped unsweetened chocolate and 8 beaten large eggs. It bakes in a bain marie for about an hour, 'til the center is almost set. Coll it, and then refrigerate it. Serve it with cinnamon ice cream and raspberries. To die for!