🔕 🔔

beating egg whites first?

I'm planning to make the Calabrian walnut cake that showed up today (yum!) and I got to thinking: could I beat my egg whites first and then beat the egg yolks and add the whites? Would the whites deflate too much? I've got only one bowl and one set of beaters and I hate having to stop and very, very carefully wash and dry everything before beating the whites. I'm lazy - and I'll admit that! Can I be as lazy as I'd like to be? I know you all will know!!

asked by tammany about 3 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

tammany, (with the caveat that I haven't made this particular cake) I also only have one bowl and one whisk attachment, so in situations like this, I frequently beat the whites first, scoop them into another bowl and set them aside, and then make the rest of the batter. I've found that if I use a small pinch of kosher salt with the egg whites, they hold their shape and airiness very well, and this hasn't been a problem.

Tammany, I have done it as well. I used a little cream of tartar, but who knows if it really helps.

Thanks to both of you! Food52ers are just the best.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

I also always beat the whites first for cakes. Don't tell the cake police.

Lol